There are many places to purchase a new battery for your car, truck, SUV, golf cart, boat, ATV, or other recreational vehicle but Costco stands above them all when it comes to affordability. Costco carries a wide range of vehicle battery brands and sizes, but you will find the most selection in their Interstate brand batteries.
While Costco offers some of the best prices on new car battery purchases, it does not provide battery installation services. Regulations require servicers to offer additional maintenance services to be approved for battery installations, and Costco decided not to pursue this option to keep costs down.
Luckily, replacing your car battery yourself is a quick and simple task that will only require a few minutes of time and the most basic of tools. Even if you are new to vehicle maintenance, replacing a battery can be done almost anywhere so you can continue to drive your vehicle without any issues.
What Vehicle Services Does Costco Offer?
Costco reigns supreme when it comes to affordable vehicle parts and accessories, but falls a bit short when it comes to repair services and maintenance.
At most Costco locations, you will be able to have your tires maintained or replaced, but not much else…
They do however offer an Auto Program to their members!
This program can help you save a huge amount of money on not just new parts and accessories for your existing vehicle, but can also help you save money when purchasing an entirely new vehicle.
Costco works with a wide range of car manufacturers to lock in the lowest prices on new vehicles, and being a member can help you save on the purchase prices of a new vehicle.
Additionally, the Costco Auto Program helps its members save up to 50% on basic services, replacement parts, and warranty plans for the new vehicle as well.
Replacing Your Own Car Battery
Replacing a car battery yourself might sound daunting especially if you are new to vehicle maintenance in general, but it can be a very simple process.
In fact, it will only take you a few minutes and needs only one or two basic tools. You won’t need to invest in a fancy tool kit or drill to get the job done.
With just 10 easy steps, you can replace your own battery.
- Ensure your vehicle is in park and the engine is turned off. If you are parked on an incline, be sure to use your emergency brake and wheel chocks for added safety.
- Open your hood and locate the battery. It is normally in the front left or right corner near the headlights, but may be elsewhere. It’s hard to miss, regardless of its location.
- Identify which side is the positive terminal and which is the negative. The positive terminal will have a plus sign and a red cap or cord leading to it. The negative side will have a minus sign and a black cap or cord.
- Use a wrench to loosen the bolt on the terminal of the negative or black side first. It should only take you a minute to locate the right size wrench for the bolt you need to loosen.
- Repeat the above step on the positive or red side of the terminal. Push the two cords away from the battery to prevent sparks while you are removing it from the vehicle.
- Carefully lift the battery up and out of the vehicle. Be aware, the battery may be heavy and can weigh up to 50 pounds. If the battery has a handle, be sure to use it to make this process easier.
- Check the terminal caps for corrosion. If you see any green coloring or white crystals on the terminals, now is the perfect time to clean them so this corrosion does not spread to your new battery. You can use a thick bristle brush or a terminal cleaning solution to do this.
- Place the new battery in the same spot you removed the old battery from. Ensure the red and black terminal posts are aligned in the same way the old battery was.
- Connect the terminals to the new battery. Attach the positive or red side first, then move to the negative or black side. Ensure the bolts are tight so your vehicle gets a solid connection to the battery.
- You’re done! Close the hood and test the connection by turning your vehicle on.
Keep in mind that car batteries include toxic chemicals and acids inside them, so they must be disposed of in very specific ways.
You can return your old battery to your local Costco, or any other vehicle shop as well. They have the means for proper and safe disposal of these items.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do Costco car batteries include a warranty?
Costco batteries are covered by two warranties; one from Costco themselves which depends on the specific store you go to, and one from the battery manufacturer. In most cases, the warranty from the manufacturer will last from 1 to 5 years.
If your battery stops holding a charge within the warranty time, you can return it to Costco for an exchange or a refund.
Are Costco car batteries a good deal?
In short, yes! Costco offers a huge range of battery types and sizes for all kinds of passenger and recreational vehicles. You will not easily find another retail establishment that offers batteries at such competitive prices.
Do I need a membership to buy a Costco car battery?
Costco only sells batteries to members, so you will need a membership card. Membership is easy to sign up for and helps Costco track your purchases so they know which items are in demand. Having a membership also entitles you to various additional in-store and seasonal discounts.
How long should a car battery last?
Depending on the brand and type of battery, 3 to 5 years of use is not uncommon. However, this time span may be shortened depending on your daily drivetime, temperature extremes in your area, or a faulty electrical system in your vehicle.
Does Costco take your old car battery?
Yes, Costco encourages you to return your old battery to their stores for proper and safe disposal. When you purchase a new battery from Costco, you are charged a core fee which can be around $10 dollars. If you bring in your old battery when you purchase a new one, this fee will be waived.
While you may not be able to have Costco replace your battery or offer standard vehicle repairs or tune-ups, they certainly have you covered when it comes to highly affordable batteries in a huge selection, repair parts for all types of vehicles, and vehicle accessories!